Your Candles Can Actually Affect The Indoor Air Quality

Scented candles

Do you or anyone you know love to burn scented candles? In this post, we will let you know how those candles could be affecting the air quality inside your home.

Candles are a great way to change up the atmosphere and ambiance of your home. Many people choose candles as a way to create a soothing atmosphere in their humble abode. However, candles can also change the indoor air quality for the worse. Here are a few things you should know before you decide to light that scented candle in your home

Health Risks Surrounding Candles

There have been a variety of studies that suggest certain candles, particularly ones with added scents, can end up producing chemical reactions that release chemicals that can be harmful to your health. These released chemicals have been found to lead to asthma, respiratory issues, and can also help to contribute to certain types of cancers. As a result, staying away from scented candles in your home can be incredibly safe to the air quality inside your home.

The Reasons Candles Are Incredibly Harmful

There is a lot of research that has already been conducted surrounding the harmfulness associated with burning a scented candle. Burning candles not only ends up releasing harmful chemicals into the air, but it can also cause the formation of soot. Soot can stain the walls, ceiling, and fabrics. Ultimately soot is formed when the candles don’t totally burn all the way. Even though soot can occur in any type of candle, it only becomes more prominent in candles that are inexpensive and more often than not, scented.

Protecting Yourself From The Harmfulness Of Scented Candles

It’s hard to imagine a life without candles. In fact, it’s okay to have candles in the house; you just have to take some precautions and know what you are getting yourself into when it comes to candles in the home. Ideally, you avoid burning any candles in an unventilated room. You’ll want to make sure to open the door and crack open the window to allow the harmful chemicals to dissipate when burning a candle in your home.

Bottom Line

At the end of the day, having candles in the house is just fine. But, it’s making sure to have the proper ventilation in place to ensure that you keep yourself and your entire family safe.


If you are concerned about high electricity bills in the winter, consider investing in geothermal heat pumps to help alleviate some of those costs. With many experienced technicians available, Ground Loop Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. can solve all your air conditioning system problems. If you are interested in creating the most comfortable environment for your family to enjoy, contact Ground Loop Heating & Air Conditioning,

You can reach us at 410-836-1706, or visit our website for more information! If you are interested in more information about geothermal heating and cooling systems, check us out on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

This entry was posted on Thursday, May 9th, 2019 at 11:20 am. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.

Contact Us